Something bookish and a cup of coffee sounds like the perfect start of a Sunday morning, doesn’t it?
I know it does to me! Which is why I’ve decided to try to start posting a bookish post every (other) Sunday morning. Some short, some long, but all about books! You can grab a cup of coffee – or tea, if that’s more to your liking – and start your day with Books & Coffee (or Books & Tea).
For the very first Sunday morning post I thought I’d give you a little update on my Goodreads Currently Reading shelf. I did a blog post about it a while ago that you can check out here, and in there I set a challenge for myself that I would try to get through that shelf before the end of the year. Today I thought I would give you a little update on how that’s going, and the other books I’ve read in the meantime.
In that last post there were 9 books on my Currently Reading shelf. Right now there are 6. So progress has been made!
The ones I’ve read.
I have finished 4 books that were on my shelf at the time I wrote that post in June.
- Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt. A Dutch book but I read it in English. I enjoyed this a lot! And I want to read the Dutch version as well because he apparently rewrote the whole ending when it got translated. The beginning to me was a lot scarier than the end (the beginning actually made it a bit hard to sleep at night sometimes) but the ending did not disappoint.
- Wild by Cheryl Strayed. Very different from what I normally read, but I did enjoy it very much. Definitely want to read more books like this!
- Visions by Kelley Armstrong. More on that later…
- Take The Key And Lock Her Up by Ally Carter. I don’t know how I feel about this book, I definitely likes the first two in the Embassy Row series better. It is definitely a book written for younger girls (13-15) like all the books I’ve read by Carter, but I am sure that I will still get her new book when it comes out because I just like the quick read.
The ones I didn’t read.
There are 5 that I didn’t finish yet, but I am making good progress in one of these!
- The Turn Of The Screw by Henry James. I was on page 16 out of 176 last time, and I still am. Clearly haven’t read a page since then.
- The same goes for The High Mountains Of Portugal by Yann Martel, still on page 136. But I am actually really excited to start reading this again, I’m just feeling it or something. So I probably will do that after I finish the book I’m currently reading.
- I have continued reading Capture Your Style by Aimee Song though, and am quite enjoying it. I was on page 51 last time, and am now on page 152!
- The Adventure Of The Engineer’s Thumb and Other Cases by Arthur Conan Doyle. Haven’t continued reading this either, but I didn’t include this in the list of books I wanted to finish before the end of the year because it is a collection of short stories and I just wanna be able to dip in and out of it (not that I did that either but I’m planning on doing that).
- And lastly Winter by Marissa Meyer. I don’t know why I haven’t continued reading this because I love this series, but I just haven’t. So still on page 52 of 823.
The ones that sneaked in there.
I also read some books that weren’t on the list because I got some new books that I really really wanted to read so I did. One book, The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater, is not in the picture because I borrowed it from a friend and gave it back after I finished it. Liked it a lot except for the ending. So 4 books all in all.
- The Obsidian Chamber by Preston & Child. I had to pick it up when I saw it in the bookstore because I really liked the book that came before this, and although I liked it I didn’t like it as much as the previous book (Crimson Shore).
- So remember how I didn’t actually say anything about Visions, in the first row of books. Well, after finishing that one I immediately ordered the third book in the series, Deceptions, and finished that as well. This series is my current favourite I think!
- I also read Why Fashion Matters by Frances Corner. A book with 100 short essays all about fashion and the industry. Very interesting!
And lastly, the book I am currently reading – aside from Capture Your Style – is Betrayals by Kelley Armstrong, the fourth book in the Cainsville series. Also loving this one, however I’ve been having a bit of a hard time finding time to read now that I have homework to do and school and my internship to go to. How do people do that?!
Well, that’s my book update for today! I am actually thinking that I might try to finish Capture Your Style today, as I don’t have a whole lot to do and really feel like reading now that I have spent the last half hour writing about books. Also, I am 2 books behind on my Goodreads Reading Challenge (20 books this year) so I really need to get my butt in a comfy chair with my nose in a book!
Alright, well thanks for stopping by ❤