This week I thought I would share what’s in my makeup bag. I haven’t had an actual apartment in the last two months, so most of my stuff is packed up in boxes. I had to narrow my makeup down to what I actually might want to use on a daily basis when I packed up our old apartment, and put the rest of my collection away. So what I am showing you today is everything that I had to work with over the past few months, I know, it’s scary. But I have to say, it worked quite well, I didn’t feel like I was missing something (except for maybe my beloved Urban Decay Naked Basics palette every once in a while), and it actually made my makeup routine a bit easier in the mornings because I didn’t have a lot to choose from. Still, I can’t wait to get all my stuff back and have all my lipsticks and eyeshadow palettes again.
Anyways, enough rambling on, let’s dive into my makeup bag.
Starting with the bag itself. This is just a fairly cheap one from Etos, a Dutch drugstore. I bought it a few months ago, and it’s holding up very nicely. It is quite big, which I love, because it fits all my makeup and even a toothbrush and toothpaste when I am traveling. It could even fit my skincare products for when I’m traveling (if I take out the millions of brushes I still like to have “just in case”).
Primer for me is very important. I like to wear it underneath foundation if I am wearing that (primer underneath foundation? Weird..) or just underneath my powder if I am not wearing foundation, which is most of the time. I picked this Catrice one up a few weeks ago as you could’ve seen in my mini haul, and so far I like it!
Foundation and concealer. I am not a big foundation wearer, but when I do I like it to be lightweight, so I can basically forget I am wearing it but still have that little bit of extra coverage. This super cheap one from Etos is the first foundation that I have actually fallen in love with. It matches my skin tone, which was always a big problem for me to find, it is lightweight and has a light to medium coverage, so the redness in my skin gets evened out without hiding my freckles.
The concealer I have been using the past few months is an Essence one. I don’t remember the exact name because as you can see everything has rubbed off, but I liked this one as well. I just used it underneath my eyes to hide the fact that I went to bed waaaay too late, and it did the job perfectly! Most of the days I tend to just wear this, without the foundation, to make me look a bit more put together without having to worry about smearing foundation everywhere.
Next up, powder. I have been using this Bourjois Healthy Balance powder FOREVER. As you can see, one is almost completely gone, on the other one I just hit pan. I use it to set my concealer and foundation, or just to mattify my face a bit on those lazy days when I just threw on some primer and powder. I am pretty sure I will be repurchasing this powder forever.
Lastly for the face we have highlighter and contour powder. The highlighter I am currently using is the Makeup Revolution one in Golden Lights and I love it. I got it because I read somewhere that it is a dupe for Nars Albatros, a highlighter that I will probably never buy because 1) it is expensive and 2) I’m pretty sure you can’t get it in the Netherlands. This Makeup Revolution one is less that €4 and it’s so pretty. I use it almost every day even though sometimes I think it is a bit too golden and a bit much. Still looking for a good every day highlight.
My contour powder is the first high end product. It is a regular face powder from Clinique, just a lit darker than my skintone. I got it from my grandma, who didn’t use it because it was too dark for her as well, and started using it as a contour. It actually works really well and looks really natural, probably because it isn’t actually meant as a contour powder.
I don’t have many face brushes I think, just enough for a full face of makeup.
1. The first thing here is my (very dirty) Real Techniques makeup sponge, that I use for foundation.
2. An Etos Buffer brush, that I also use for foundation. I like to switch between this one and the sponge, depending on how I’m feeling that day.
3. An Etos Highlighter brush that I use to set my under eye concealer. I like it because it is small, I don’t have to try so hard to not poke myself in the eye, unlike my big powder brush. I have to say, I am so impressed with the Etos brushes, they are so soft and work really well, and are pretty affordable too!
4. My Hema powder brush that I use to set the rest of my face with. I’ve had this one for years and it is still going strong. I feel like Hema brushes are often hit or miss, and this one is a definite hit.
5. Lastly, my Essence brush that I use for both contouring and highlighting. I feel like the flat shape of the brush works great for both getting right underneath those cheekbones and for keeping the highlighter for going places you don’t want it to go without giving a very harsh line.
Just two brow products, both from Hema, both super cheap. I fill in my brows every time I wear makeup, using the Hema eyebrow pencil in the darkest shade, and I think it matches my hair colour perfectly. I set my brows with the eyebrow gel in the darkest shade as well, to keep the hairs in place all day.
Moving on to the eye products. For primer, because this girl needs eyeshadow primer to keep her shadows in place, I use this Essence Colour Intensifying eyeshadow primer. I have used the regular one in the past (the one that is a bit more yellow) but I think I like this one better because of the colour. It does the job, and is, like most of my makeup, cheap as hell.
For eye pencil I have used the Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof eyeliner for years. It is so black, stays on my eyes all day, and is really affordable. This is my third one I believe, and I definitely will repurchase this once I run out.
For mascara I am currently using the Extreme Volume mascara for Essence, but to be honest I am not very picky when it comes to mascara. I can’t get my favourite one (the Maybelline Mega Plush Volume Express) in the Netherlands, so whenever I run out of mascara I just get one that looks interesting. I like this one though, it gives a nice amount of volume, as the name would suggest.
For my eyeshadow palette, after a lot of thinking, I went for the Makeup Revolution Redemption Palette Iconic 1, which is a dupe for the first Urban Decay Naked palette. It is a beautiful palette, very versatile and great quality. I do miss my Naked Basics palette, as I mentioned before, because this palette misses a good highlight in my opinion, the one in here is a bit too pink to go with everything. But other than that I have been very happy with just this one (okay, and the one that I bought a month or so ago that I have been using whenever I want something different).
As you can see I have quite a bit of eye brushes, so I am not going to go through them all. Most of these are Hema, they do pretty decent eyeshadow brushes in my opinion. My blending brush and one of the flat brushes are from the Body Shop, a bit more expensive but really good! The crease brush that I use is from Etos (the one right next to the one with the red/purple-ish end) and like I said, Etos brushes are amazing. I can’t remember the brand of the colourful pencil brush, but it works really well for applying eyeshadow on the lower lash line.
I am such a lipstick girl, so having to narrow it down to just a few shades was pretty difficult, but I did it anyways. I do have one more nude colour, the Essence Colour & Care lipstick in 03 Life’s My Runway, but it was in my bag when I took the pictures (but seriously I love that one! Beautiful colour and so creamy and soft).
But let’s go though the ones I chose to bring:
1. A lip liner. This one is a newer addition, as you could see in my haul, and I love it! It is Essence lip liner in 05 Soft Berry.
2. The Essence Matte Matte Matte lipstick in 02 Perfect Match I bought to go along with the liner, one that has been a favourite ever since.
3. I mainly chose this one because it’s almost done and I just wanted to finish it, but it is a really nice colour. It is a very old one from Rituals in the shade Sunset, and I don’t know if they still sell this one.
4. A very expensive one, and a very pretty one as well. This is the Sisley Long Lasting Lipstick in L23, a gorgeous every day muted red shade for me. The packaging alone gives me so much joy, especially because it comes with this gorgeous black velvet sleeve.
5. Of course I need a lipbalm in my makeup bag as well. This is the Burt’s Bees pomegranate one, and it does the job perfectly!
Moving on to the random stuff I have in my makeup bag, starting with my mirror. I like to always have a decently sized mirror with me, because there isn’t always a good mirror to do my makeup in front of when I’m staying at someone’s house. This is just a cheap one from Hema that I’ve had for quite some time now. I like that the cover can also be used as a stand.
Makeup wipes and a pencil sharpener, in case of a mistake, foundation hands, and blunt eye- or lipliners.
Lastly, we have got some new additions, things I added after I took the other photo’s.
1. I am running out of my other Essence mascara, so I decided to pick up a new one. This Catrice Pret-à-Volume mascara just looked really pretty so I bought it, and I think I like it, it gives a nice amount of volume after a few layers, but still looks quite natural.
2. To be honest, the only reason I got this mascara is because it was on sale for €1,50, and I don’t think it’s that good. I used it once the other day, and it is pretty clumpy, so I might get rid of it soon. But first I’m gonna use it a few more times just to see if my opinion changes.
3. Okay, so I’m not really a big eyeliner girl, mainly because I am really bad at it. But because I think it always looks so good, I decided to buy this Essence one and really practice, and hopefully one day my wings will be even.
4. And last but not least, a new concealer, because I legit ran out 2 days ago when I’m writing this. I went for the Etos Brightening Concealer this time, mainly because I forgot what shade my Essence one was. I am not sure if I like this one more than the Essence concealer, but the packaging does feel more luxurious, which is also important, right?
So there you go, everything that is in my makeup bag. As much as I love the things I have been using over the past few months, I cannot wait to have my whole makeup collection again. I feel collection posts coming up soon…!
Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this weeks (very long) post, and I hope to see you next week for a new one.